Take a look at my final project for this class if you’d like!
I built a playable arcade-style game based around the mechanic of launching a ball.
I mediated an interaction with my classmate by putting a box on his head.
The box deprives the wearer of sight, and to show how that affected other senses I asked my classmate to do certain tasks:
These were surprisingly easy for him, perhaps because his other senses were reliable enough without sight.
So you suddenly find yourself in a rap battle, at a loss for what to say? Never fear. Just click and drag your mouse in the grid below to start generating lyrics.
To take my medium interactive, I decided to scale up. Instead of pushing paint around with my fingers, I let a crowd of people leave their marks.
I set up the piece in a well-traveled pathway between classes.
After leaving the piece for a while, I took it down and photographed the results.
Here they are, as a record of a crowd’s movements:
I set aside a couple hours to play with the fluid dynamics of paint, inspired by Mike Cina’s similar experiments, particularly those with the marbling technique.
First I diluted some water-soluble block printing ink and poured it into a pan.
Putting paper directly into the water was unsuccessful, so I drained it and found that all the pigment had sunk.
A print using this method.
After several variations of the above technique, using other fluids like salt water and detergent, I decided to apply paint directly to the paper.
I liked the effect so much that I tried it a few other ways, and settled on a plastic sheet as the best way to handle the paint.
By pressing paint between two sheets of plastic, I can directly manipulate the pigments in whatever direction I want. This leads to interesting patterns and colors, especially when light shines through the plastic from underneath.
Using the Kinect 3D camera sensor and an image processing library, we set out to create a harp-like instrument using hand gestures for input.
We set up the instrument in Ryder hall between classes, where people were constantly walking by. Most ignored us, but we got a few successful interactions.
Technical difficulties plagued the project, but despite the problems it succeeded.
We used signage to explain how to interact with the Kinect because most people did not understand what to do, in dual languages because we were on the language-learning floor.